We are mainly interested in designing the shape or internal structure of colloidal particles as well as assembling them into colloidal superstructures with surface functionalzation. Their superstrucrtures can be utilized for various practical applications including photonic (meta-)materials, nanoelectronic devices, porous materials for catalyst or colorimetric sensor, electrodes, or electrolytes of a lithium-ion battery. Mesoporous nanoparticles are also investigated as a smart carrier for drug delivery or adhesives for hydrogels or biological tissues.
Colloidal particles have been used as model system for atomic structures as well as building blocks for photonic crystals. Our main research interests are in the synthesis of new colloidal particles and their structures by self-assembly which would be great model system for understanding even more complex biological structures. Furthermore, using those new particles, we are also developing e-paper display, composite film for flexible display, strong light-scattering particles for display or cosmetic applications.
- DNA-coated colloidal particles
- Photonic colloidal glasses
- Self-assembled colloidal metamaterials
Using colloidal particles or micelles as templates, macro- or mesoporous materials could be prepared which is now investigated as efficient host materials for drug delivery or colorimetric sensor dye. Porous particles have recently implemented for new bioadhesives on hydrogels or biological tissues. Recently, ionic liquid (block co-) polmyers are synthesized and assembled into bicotinuous porous polymer films for solid electrolytes of lithium ion battery.
- Porous particles for biomedical imaging and diagnosis
- Porous substrates for colorimetric sensors
- Solid electrolytes for lithium ion batteries
- Diamond-like colloidal photonic crystals by DNA-mediated self-assembly (Korean NRF, 2017-2022)
- Solid electrolytes for lithium ion battery (Korean NRF, 2018-2023)
- Highly Conformal Adhesive Carrier with Meso-Microstructure for Enhanced Skin Delivery of Effective Components (KHIDI, 2020-2022)
- Amorepacific R&D Center (2020)
- LG Chem Research Park (2019-2021)
- Theranostic Macromolular Research Center (TMRC) (Korean NRF, 2012-2020)
- Korea-China international collaboration project (Korean NRF, 2018-2020)
- Porous Nanoparticle Bank by Korean NRF (NRF-2014M3A9B8023471, 2014-2019)
- BASF (2013-2019)
- Samsung Research Funding Center for Samsung Electronics (SRFCMA1402-09, 2014-2019)
- Amorepacific (2018-2019)